Sunday 22 February 2009

Heeeey, Mr. DeeJaaaaay... put a record on...

... I wanna dance with mah baaabyyyyyy.

The only Madonna song I like. To be a good DJ, you need to play good music. Although that sounds simple, actually having enough music to make your sets varied whilst still maintaining the quality can be extremely tricky. I only have about 3,000 songs - and that is not alot, considering roughly a third of them I don't consider the right sort of thing to play in a set on friday nights. So that leaves me with 2,000 available tunes for use.

Some people's music libraries contain ten times this amount - I think that the more songs you have, then it becomes equally harder and easier to DJ. Think about it... you have to sort through ten times the amount of songs, only picking out good stuff, yet at the same time, you have alot more choice so each of your sets can be totally unique.

Now that I have an earlier slot on fridays, I can play some slightly more laid back stuff, as not everyone is gonna be in a party mood at that time. Hell.. its 3pm for the East coast of the US lol so most of the people who turn up are from Europe, where it is at least 8pm.. so warming up the crowd for a long and fun friday night is an important job. I seemed to do okay last friday... my slightly subdued set seemed to go down well.

I just thought up a brilliant idea. Imma post my set lists on my blog!

Friday 20/02/09

1. Kings of Leon - Closer
2. Muse - Starlight
3. The Airborne Toxic Event - Does This Mean You're Moving On?
4. Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up To Dry
5. The Killers - When You Were Young
6. Fight Like Apes - Tie Me Up With Jackets
7. Foo Fighters - Disenchanted Lullaby
8. Innerpartysystem - Structure
9. VNV Nation - Testament
10. Black Kids - I Wanna Be Your Limousine
11. Interpol - C'mere
12. Battle - Beautiful Dynasty
13. Coldplay - Violet Hill
14. Placebo - Pure Morning
15. Biffy Clyro - Get Fucked Stud
16. Death Cab For Cutie - Someday You Will Be Loved
17. Blackbud - Heartbeat
18. Incubus - Dig
19. Saosin - You're Not Alone
20. White Rose Movement - Love Is A Number
21. Shiny Toy Guns - Ghost Town
22. Tokyo Police Club - Tessellate
23. Hellogoodbye - Here (In Your Arms)
24. White Lies - Farewell To The Fairground
25. The Offspring - Fix You
26. The Automatic - Lost At Home
27. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Turn Into
28. The Hives - It Won't Be Long
29. Snow Patrol - Tiny Little Fractures
30. Cute Is What We Aim For - The Curse Of Curves
31. The Decemberists - 16 Military Wives
32. Milburn - What About Next Time?
33. MGMT - Kids (Soulwax Remix)
34. Hellogoodbye - Touchdown Turnaround (Don't Give Up On Me)

So.. there ya go. Originally I was gonna post up some details of the latest albums and stuff I have got hold of... but all the artists are included in there. I know the songs appear on the DJ board as I play em, but this is for those of you who may have missed the set and want to see what you could be listening to on a friday afternoon/evening/night. Alternatively, if you were there but didnt see the board and are thinking.. however unlikely this may be... "Oooohhhhh Esmi played a song that was awesome but I cant remember what it was called, now its stuck in my head and I have to find it!!!".. it is here on this list, you can probably find it quite easily. There... I've done my good deed for the day.

Esmie xXx

6 comments:

Finnegan said...

What if no one comes to your sets because they can just check out what music you are playing when you post it and not have to deal with it.

Esmiel said...

I dont think anyone would seriously do that. They'd miss out on seeing me in those tiny pink undies.

Dehrynn said...

Personally, I like your idea Esmi.. It would require planning and initiative on my part to duplicate such effort.*grin*
Since I won't be able to be on SL to listen - maybe I can tune in via my web browser to the stream, or put it together for myself after the fact? Of course, if you decide to voice, I'll totally miss that, but maybe I can get an afternoon off one Friday soon...

Esmiel said...

Dehrynnnnnnnnnnnnn... I can totally give you the stream URL, which you can put into a web browser and then listen to on some kind of media player :D

I miss having you as a host tho :(

Chopper said...

When we gonna hear that voice?

Esmiel said...

I dont know. It seems like the entire world is against me ever having a working mic.

FedEx seem to be the ringleaders of this conspiracy.