Friday 23 January 2009

NameTrick

Now, some of you may remember my post some time ago about not being the only 'Esmiel' in Second Life. Here is a link, just incase you would like to go check out that particular drama-queen rant; Holy hell that was well over a year ago!

Anyways, the reason I am referring you to that post is because yesterday, I did a check to see if Esmiel Baroque was still around. He is. AND he IM'd me last night while I was offline.

Imagine my surprise when I found this in my email inbox this morning:

[19:28] Esmiel Baroque: go back where you come/
you need leave forest for trees/boom boom BOOM!
I really, really hope he didn't take my rant too seriously, because who am I to say what names can and cannot be used? Linden Labs? No sir! lol

What this post is really about, and what that all links quite nicely to, is the new craze that has gripped parts of SL - Only having one name on display (i.e. making your last name disappear) through the use of a clever group tag. The group is called 'NameTrick' and it used to cost 50L to join - or, it did until yesterday when they made it free. Apparently, Linden Labs are going to crack down on this 'bug' very soon, although I think they should spend their time chasing much more worthwile causes - how much damage is a person with only one name on display doing to the system anyway?

Here is what you need to do:

Join NameTrick
Activate the tag in an old server version region (Serenus Prime is one; there are archived group notices with LMs to others)
Then bask in the glory of having only one name and a little '<3' above it

*UPDATE* Linden Labs have made the vanishing last name thing an offical bug or something.. so the tag doesn't work anymore... so... that sucks. Thanks, Lindens. Why do we need two names on display all the time anyway?

Esmie xXx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well you always used to know who you were talking to so didn’t need names, but nowadays everyone is morphing themselves into something new, it seems - Chopper.