Monday 14 January 2008

The Joys of Quantum Theory

I'm currently waiting in for the delivery of my shiny new baby and am looking over some questions due in tomorrow for my Quantum Theory module. To describe the problems as difficult and complicated is perhaps an understatement.

Firstly, I have to normalise the sci function of the variable x, and apparently I must do this by integrating the square of the modulus between the limits of negative and positive infinity. Its alot harder than it sounds, trust me, because the damn lecturer only gave us one stupid example and did not explain it to us. At the time, I thought this might be enough to get through the questions with.

The answer to the normalisation should be 1. I get ((2*(A^2))/5)*(Infinity^5) which is "2 times A squared over 5, all multiplied by infinity to the power of 5" which is fucking stupid and impossible and certainly not 1. Unless A is a ridiculous number, something like ((5/2)*Infinity^-7). Which is seriously not possible.

But looking at the example, and following through the calculation steps, I cannot see how you could possibly get anything else. I just messaged my friend asking how she was getting on with the questions and she replied, literally as I am writing this, "I can't do any of them, its awful". She's the smartest person in the class :)

After normalising 4 seperate functions, there are two further sets of questions also due in tomorrow that are quite similar yet of an even higher difficulty. I haven't really looked at those yet, for fear of having some kind of nervous breakdown or heart attack.

So I think I might be giving up on that for the time being and ask the lecturer to explain it a little more thoroughly to us and to possibly extend the deadline. This is just the beginning of the second week. By the end of week 8 either I will be in a much better position and able to understand almost everything, or I will know pretty much nothing, which is what happened last term. Here's hoping that things don't get that much more complicated :)

Esmie xXx

10 comments:

Osayo said...

Find 10K at the beach and ask him about this stuff. Seems like something he might know about. I just woke up and have to go to work, so my brain is not working right now, but, I am going to Google all this when I get home since it sounds interesting. Even if I can grasp a basic understanding of it that would be cool.

Anonymous said...

OMG ummm *eyes cross*

Anonymous said...

7

Osayo said...

42

Esmiel said...

Well it turns out that the expression cannot be normalised after all. Apparently we are supposed to know this because the answer includes an infinite term, due to the shape of the curve being a parabola with no limits when drawn on a graph. If only I had known that to start with!

Still, there were plenty of other questions to do such as what effect does the operator x((h/i)(d/dx)) have on the equation Sci(x)=A.exp(ikx)? I can do that one :)

Osayo said...

When is the next poll? I just thought of this randomly, favorite video game or type of game outside of SL. (I know SL is not a game, but you know what I am saying)

Anonymous said...

After a while I came back to your blog and i had to read your trobles with quantum theory.
Maybe this will comfort you: Even Scgrödinger was not relly able to explain the quantum theory. hahahaha

hugs

Anonymous said...

Bug-fix:
Even Schrödinger was not really able to explain the quantum theory.
lol

Anonymous said...

Last afford:
You are such a sweet kitten - maybe you should try to be schrödinger's cat?
haha
hugs again

Esmiel said...

I hate Schrodinger for all the pain he has caused undergraduate physicists around the world. His cat died a long time ago I think.