Thursday 24 January 2008

Results!

Well here we are. A shocking truth has been uncovered... the readers of this blog play SL more than any other kind of game... big surprise... ;D

Here's the official results. Taking my lessons from the situation in Kenya, I have 4 computers I could vote with to make sure my fave wins, I chose not to, for fear of riots and a widespread breakdown of society that this would inevitably cause. So here goes...

I don't play anything except SL - 5 Votes - 41%
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games - 3 - 25%
Racing/Driving - 2 - 16%
First Person Shooters - 1 - 8%
Strategy - 1 - 8%
Puzzle, Text-Based Adventure, Platformer, Arcade, non-MMO RPGs, 3rd Persom Action/Adventure, Fighting - 0 - 0%

Seeing as SL is infact not a game, we can kinda take that out and view it seperately. What it basically shows us is people spend their time on SL instead of playing other games - but if you didn't have SL, would you be playing a game? Or going for a walk in the park... or whatever it is people with real lives do.

I am not surprised MMORPGs came in quite high, as I guess some people would be attracted to SL as a kinda evolution in some way of other online games - the environment and possibilities in SL cannot be ignored by anyone who is at level 70 and bored of WoW or whatever.

Driving games have always been a fave of mine. It started with Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2.. I used to spend all day driving around, not even racing, because I loved the sound of my TVR Griffith 500's engine after spending the 80,000 Cr. NA Tuning option on it. I actually loved that game, very few others have actually made me feel as awesome or emotional.. the suspense on the final lap, the elation of winning... or the utter, utter misery of crashing on the last bend of a 15 lap race and watching everyone sail past. My most recent love in the driving world has been Burnout - pretty much the opposite end of the scale from GT - and I currently have my eye on Burnout Paradise for my 360...

One racing game I do hate, however, is Project Gotham. Its too realistic and unforgiving - that just makes it hard and boring.

I was hoping First Person Shooters would come higher... these being my absolute all-time faves. I have played so many... GoldenEye, Doom 64 on the N64, Timesplitters 1-3 (Best kills without dying score on TS3: 750 or so), Black, Red Faction 1-2, Medal of Honour on the PS2, F.E.A.R., Far Cry, Prey, Battlefield 2, Quake 2 on the PC and of course Halo 1-3 on the Xboxes and I never get bored of shooting people in the face. However, there are loads I have never played - Call Of Duty, Doom 3, Bioshock and all those other awesome ones I just haven't bothered with recently. I dont know why I enjoy them so much.. I guess its partly due to the way my RL at times becomes incredibly stressful and I get angry or whatever. I have never lashed out or done anything violent in my RL towards another person, despite sometimes wishing I could, I always hold back and then take out my frustration on a virtual enemy. When people say videogames cause violence they are talking shit. I woulda probably punched or kicked alot more people in RL if I didnt have games to take out my anger on.

Strategy is my second fave, my greatest love in this genre being the Age of Empires and the Command & Conquer series. Blitzkrieg is also a very, very good game if you like killing nazis by the tankload and lets face it, who doesn't?

I have noticed recently the number of voters in my polls slipping. Whyyyy? Whats going on? *sobs* I am amazed platformers and fighting games did not get a vote and also 3rd person action - that includes GTA, guys! And Metal Gear Solid!!! How can that not be amongst the fave games of at least one person who reads this? I just dont get it...

Anyways, feel free to comment and complain about the various placings and which genre you think should be top, etc.

I am cooking up a good lil poll for the next few days, stay tuned :P

Esmie xXx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am one of the SL groupies. Before it came along I would have chosen strategery. I like the Paradox Interactive games like Europa Universalis or Victoria. Anything that involves a lot of tedious spreadsheets!

Osayo said...

Racing/driving was my choice. I most like simulators, specifically Live for Speed. It is challenging but finally getting it and winning races is very satisfying. I also love arcade style racing games. Need for Speed hight stakes was one of my favorites.

My second choice would have been 3rd person action. I love the Hitman series, especially Blood Money. A great way to take the edge off. I also like the open ended game play.

If I had to choose based on time spent, It would have been SL. But, since it is not the only thing I like, I went with my other choice.

Kaj said...

Like Syd wrote I'm one of the SL groupies too. I had never done much with online games or PSP or anything like that. I know I spend a great amount of time in SL, mainly coz of the friends I have here!

Oh and hey I voted! :)

The big drag is now my RL workplace is blocking my access to read your and Gabe's blogs. Bastards!