Sunday 20 January 2008

The Problems With Owning A Castle...

Firstly, the biggest obstacle is filling it. So far we have used about a third of the space and don't have any idea about what to do with the rest of it. We have a study (my personal room), the main lounge/living area/throne room, the master bedroom, a secondary Indian-themed bedroom (Nicholai's personal room), the dining room and the bathing/hot tub room. We still have one or two rooms left to fill on the first two floors and an entire floor above that to fill :O What on Earth are we gonna do with it all? Maybe a bowling lane, I dunno. We'll think of something I am sure :)

Secondly is the landscaping. You have to make the castle look as if it has been in that place for hundreds of years, never easy - especially as things in SL always seem to look so shiny and new and plain. Also, you have to make the world around it both interesting and believable. The amazing realism in the lighting and texturing of the build needs an equally stunning home and creating it is not simple.

Thirdly and perhaps the nastiest, is dealing with your own air of self-importance and curbing back your snobbishness. Sometimes I let it slip, saying something like "Oh well, your place isn't bad but maybe its a bit small compared to my castle", or... "You're a peasant! Get your filthy unwashed hands off my cape!" and I just end up sounding kinda arrogant and ridiculous. But still, I don't mean to be like that, I am merely trying to play my character, that of an incredibly handsome and athletic elven prince who rules with mercy in his heart and a twinkle in his eye. But who doesn't like being touched by peasants unless they are cleaning his boots with their tongues.

But yeah if I have offended you by calling you a dirty pleb before then I am sorry :)

Fourthly is the time the thing takes up. Hence me not posting as much on here anymore. We have been very very busy building some front steps and waterfall system, and we are very nearly done. As soon as it is, expect a huge update with pics and details and everything!

Esmie xXx

2 comments:

Osayo said...

I don't know how much you guys like to entertain, but you could use some of the space for that. (The Christmas party was great by the way) Maybe just a chill out spot, kinda like mission beach with just places to sit or dance even. Or like you mentioned with the bowling alley some sort of activity that could get a bunch of people together.

Of course only worthy, royal guests would be allowed in;-)

Either way, I am glad you guys are happy with it, it looks awesome and the landscaping is beautiful.

Esmiel said...

Well the sim is supposed to be closed to everyone not in the guests group... and adding everyone is a) gonna take up too much royal time and b) gonna make people hate me for making them quit a group to join this one :P

Just.. don't go in the dungeon.