Wednesday 11 July 2007

Just a thought...

As I sit here drinking my Pepsi Max, listening to Air, looking at this Samsung LCD monitor and gazing at the little Cyberman (from Dr. Who) action figure on the desk, my mind wonders. The Cybermen wanted to 'upgrade' all humans and life in the galaxy into Cybermen, a so-called superior race. Then I think about the attempted terrorist attacks the past week in Britain. I think how the people who carried out those attacks were doing it to 'liberate' themselves from the western ideology encroaching on their world. Then my mind wonders.. is it necessary, in order to free yourself or your people, you must remove other people's rights and freedoms, if not their lives?

I support terrorism in a way. If it is for just freedom against an oppressive regime, for example the 'rebels' in Zimbabwe fighting to end Mugabe's dictatorship, and it is in the best interests of the majority of people, then I can say I agree with it as long as nobody is killed. However. The killing of any innocents in the name of ANY ideology is not right. It cannot be justified, for any reason whatsoever. People say the war in Iraq is about oil - the fuel that drives the West's ideology of freedom. You have to ask yourself what kind of sick people would value even one person's life below that of some black goo. I wouldn't trade a single soldier's life, from either side, for all the oil in the world. Human life is precious beyond anything else and mankind's natural compassion is the only thing that will save us from ourselves.

The cruellest, most evil things have been carried out by human beings. We are the only ones who recognise these actions as such and are therefore the only ones who can realise what a complete fucking waste war, terrorism, violence really is.

Now I think why the hell am I saying all this. Nobody can change human nature. Nobody who reads this will agree with me and be able to click their fingers and make things change. Without SL this is the kind of shit I come out with.

But then... I think of SL. All the beautiful, amazing people I have had the privelege of meeting, how much I love you all, what you have done for me, and what I hope to do for you guys. Sure, SL has its ugly side. Actually, it has lots of ugly sides, and sharp edges and dangerous spikes and deep pits. But from what I've seen in SL it also has places of astonishing beauty and I have experienced some truly selfless, wonderful things there that I know I will never forget...

That leaves me with a final thought. Sure the world is shitty, RL and SL, but, whatever fucks up next, we have love and nothing beats that.

Esmie xXx

No comments: