Wednesday 29 August 2007

Identity Verification (IDV)

Robin Linden posted this.

IDV, it seems you have the option, if you so choose, to verify your NAME, AGE, SEX and LOCATION.

Well I think the funniest part is where dear Robin says:

"Personally, I think this will help take our in-world relationships to a new level of trust. And that’s good for us all."

Well that's if all your friends verify themselves. What if they don't, are we not supposed to trust them???

I know that keeping minors out of SL is very important, but this is totally the wrong way to go about it.

Linden Labs have brought in these guys to manage the verification process. A third party, being given the data from our IDs. It says they won't use it and will destroy the info as soon as verification is complete, but that has to be bullshit. This data is too valuable to throw away when they can sell it to other companies.

Apparently the only reason you would want to verify your age is so that you can access 'Restricted' areas, to prevent unverified minors accessing adult content. But why bother with your sex, name and location? Whats the point? I give most of that away freely in my profile *lol* both here and in SL, so it isn't a problem for me... but the 'trust' that Robin talks about is not going to happen. It'll only going to spread distrust and fear and paranoia, and I know many people won't be able to survive in SL with that going on.

But what if you have no ID with which to verify yourself? O_o
I have a passport and a student ID card from my university. The passport expired this time last year, and altho it still gets me into bars and through Heathrow (somehow), it won't be accepted by the new IDV system because of the date. My student ID card? *lol* They won't accept that will they? Not even bars and clubs will take it.

This is just Linden trying to get its hands on more money and get even more control over us, reducing the fantasy of SL in the process. What's next? We gonna have to reveal our religion, so they can double-check all the muslims or something?

You know what? Fuck Linden.

Esmie xXx

2 comments:

Gabe said...

OMG - Esmie - you hit it right on the head. I am not giving the Lindens my passport - wtf. Who cares about "restricted content" - This is so "Big Brother" - No Way!

Avatars of all worlds unite - cheesh. What next- radio ankle transmitters and retina tracing id devices? No No No.

Gabe

Osayo said...

I agree with you guys and have a couple of related posts on my blog in response to this.