Wednesday 22 August 2007

What is Sexy?

SL is down!

I didn't even know this was gonna happen, what the hell. Nobody told me about this!

So what can I do instead?

Post to my blog of course! All I need to do is think of something to talk about, which will hopefully happen while I type this sentence. Damn - oh wait - got something.

Q: What makes an avatar sexy? Is it different from what makes a human sexy?

Lets define 'sexy' first. Different people are attracted to different things, we all have our own tastes obviously. But beauty is universal, everyone can appreciate it, right? Like nobody would ever describe the view of a golden sunset as ugly. Rayu once asked me why he would bother paying loads of real money for land with a view of some mountains across the sea when they were just pixels, an image, nothing real. I just replied "There's beauty in everything" and it is true. But a sunset is not sexy, neither are mountains or oceans :)

Sexy (from dictionary.com)
adjective
1.concerned predominantly or excessively with sex
2.sexually interesting or exciting; radiating sexuality
3.excitingly appealing; glamorous

My opinion: Sexy combines beauty and a certain, darker urge of desire and lust into an object, situation or person.

Lets take an avatar at random and see what makes them sexy;

A totally unbiased decision.

Anyways. Look at the eyes. The curves and the smoothness. The shapes and position.

Beautiful? Yes. Sexy? Definitely.

To me anyways, Nicholai is amazingly hot. I don't just say that because I love him, I knew he was sexy before we ever got this close, from the moment I first saw him.

But how can a bunch of animated pixels be sexy? :O

The way someone acts can also make them very sexy. The way you talk, move, emote - it all adds up. You only need to be good at one thing to be sexy, and then everything else is forgotten.
If you've got it all then you can't lose :)

It's easy to be beautiful in SL, but you gotta have the attitude and the inside stuff if you wanna be real sexy. I know alot of people who pull this off and I love to be in their company, I wouldn't wanna be around anyone else. They inspire me and make me jealous as hell *lol* and I love them for it :)

To be RL sexy... that requires a large amount of luck and an awareness of your body and mind. You don't need to do that in SL - you create the body, put whatever you want into the mind of that avatar, no luck involved. RL sexy is harder to get right in many ways and it will always win over SL sexy, it just works better somehow.

A human body can be altered too, but thats not sexy. Natural beauty is what really makes something sexy, but how the hell can an avatar still be sexy - pixels are not natural - if thats the case? Maybe different rules apply, I dunno :s

Some people manage cute, others attractive, some beautiful, a few sexy but like I said before, there is beauty in everything. Of course you gotta remember its the inside beauty that counts most. Bringing that beauty out of yourself for others to see is a great achievement, and then you can top that off by doing/saying sexy things and wearing sexy clothes and having sexy hair... then nothing will stand in your way ;D

Esmie xXx

10 comments:

Osayo said...

I think that sexy is subjective. As you noted, there are so many variables that play into what can make a person sexy, but, they are not the same for everyone.

I also agree with your point distinguishing beauty from sexuality, there are many women that I find to be beautiful that I have no sexual attraction to. (I think beauty is also subjective, however there is debate over the subjectivity of beauty.)

I think the number of variables that a person can have, both physically and in their personality are infinite. And, what a person can find sexy is infinite as well.

I guess my question would be, are there any universals or constants that play a role in sexuality?

Roach said...

Handsome is as handsome does. Sexxxy, on the other hand, is esmiel, oh, and broing - um, kaj is really really cute, and doug, wow, yeah doug, and lets see, pabs, and andrew is kinda hot and erik and lb and river and cory, of course, and maka, and ...

Esmiel said...

Os -

Well I reckon there may be a couple of constants that play a role in sexiness. A person's eyes - maybe their voice and smile too. Everyone can agree on those, regardless of 'preference'. And everyone likes a nice curvy butt :)

Roach, you forgot to include yourself in that list.

Esmiel said...

Oh and Os, baby, hun, sugar... You shoulda used this downtime to post something amazing on your blog! You don't need great content, just your own witty way of talking crap for a while, like I do *lol*
Why not start by explaining why you chose that name and why you joined SL? Thats a good way to begin. Something I've always wondered about too. :)
*hugs*

Roach said...

have u read 'the evolution of desire', by david buss? lots in there 'bout beauty and sexiness. seems to help to be very symmetrical. also very important to smell nice. thus, tho some are lobbying for 'taste' to be the next addition to sl (after 'voice'), personally, i'm voting for scent! they already got it on beta - or is that just this old shirt? damn! thats something i coulda done while sl was down! i coulda bathed!

Esmiel said...

No, I haven't read that. And I'm really not sure I would want to have scent in SL cos I stink like a pig 5 mins after getting out of the shower :)

Esmiel said...

*Remembers something* Well smell is how you detect hormones and things so.. maybe thats what makes someone sexy - the chemicals running around in their body...

Roach said...

i bet u smell nice. and some people like pigs - my sis-out-law keeps one in her brooklyn apt - he's a nice boy. does your bf like the way u smell?

Esmiel said...

Sometimes. Depends how long it is since I had a shower :)

Osayo said...

You convinced me, I updated my blog and explained why I joined SL and how I found the name.