Saturday 15 September 2007

Child Avatars

Everyone knows having child avatars around is kinda strange. Behind the 'child' is an adult, acting and roleplaying as a kid. Some people have a big issue with these kids. They feel strange doing and saying certain things around them. Like getting naked or something. The thing you really have to decide on is whether you play along with them or just treat them like the adult they actually are.

I tend to see a child av and treat them as they appear - if they roleplay as a child, and do it well, like my little 'niece' Becca, then its easy to forget they are an adult and just accept them as part of your SL, like you would accept any other kids in RL - they are just there.

But when it comes to the idea of sex with a child avatar, or between two child avatars, pretty much everyone thinks "Oh my God, no way. No freaking way, shut up about it." The law in SL regarding sex with child avs is fuzzy at best. I'm not totally up-to-date with it but my understanding is the promotion, advertising and public display of it is banned and those breaking these rules go to the naughty step. But that doesn't seem to prevent the act itself occurring - and I am not surprised they haven't banned it (except in Germany or something) - because the only way to effectively prevent it would be to ban all child avatars.

People get confused about what a child avatar is and isn't allowed to do in SL. Recently, for example, Casey turned up on Boots beach. He says his av is supposed to be about 16, honestly it looks more like 13 - Karl and I both agreed this. Official rules that Boots and Shawn provided me with when I was made a member of security state clearly that sexual acts involving a child avatar are not permitted in any way on Mission Beach. However child avs themselves are - in fact, a fellow member of security, Caleb, is the founder of SL Kids. Anyways - back to the Casey story.

One Bum on the beach was totally against the idea of allowing Casey to even stand there, and that he should be ejected or banned as soon as possible. I had a lengthy IM discussion with this Bum and I clearly stated that the rules permitted him to be there. End of. Or so I thought. This Bum, although I know he wasn't trying to be aggressive or to contradict me, repeatedly stated that I shouldn't allow Casey to be on the beach - because of the adult activities that went on there.

I pointed out that a sexual act was allowed to take place in the presence of a child, as long as the child was not involved - think - in RL, if a kid walks in on his parents while they're doing that icky thing involving a woman's parts (eww) and a man's parts (yay) - that doesn't make the parents paedophiles! They aren't breaking the law! But the Bum was not convinced saying things like 'but what if I want to have a naked party on the beach?'. I pointed out that if he was *that* uncomfortable with the child being there, he could ask the kid to leave. He thought I was joking. 'What if I want to have sex and stuff?'. Why would you wanna do that on a damn PUBLIC BEACH?! Go Home and do that, jeeeeze.

Casey informs me that he does have sex, and as his avatar is 16, and that is the legal age of consent in his country, he figured that was ok. I said maybe he should make himself look a bit older, seeing as the legal age of consent in SL is 18 - and that I didn't care - didn't even want to know - if he had sex - as long as it wasn't in the Mission Beach sim, its not my problem, I can't do anything about it. I wouldn't consider 16 as technically a 'child', seeing as at that age you are legally allowed to have sex in the UK - so I didn't think about reporting him.

In the end, the Bum said he would keep his eye on Casey, saying that if he saw him do anything sexual he would report him to Linden Labs before Mission Beach got closed and all of us got kicked out. Whatever, Casey isn't a dumb kid. He knows where he can and can't do these things. I'm glad I could stick up for him, because he was doing nothing wrong at all in my eyes - just standing on a gay beach, chatting to some people.

Karl and I stick up for little Casey on the beach.

Esmie xXx

No comments: